Monday, February 21, 2011

Day 2 Now What?

As I said I retired 5 years ago.  It has finally occurred to me that I no longer have goals or a focus for my life.  Slow learner I guess!  So that's what all this self examination is about... mostly.


Lately I've noticed that most young people, under 60... (oh gad under 60 is young!)... have goals and a focus in their lives.  So then I think back, and realize I once had those too.  One of my main goals "back then" was to have my mortgage paid off by the time I retired.  Almost made it... got 'er done 3 years ago.  The most recent major goal was to stop smoking.  Of course that is an ongoing effort reaching 2 years next month.


So, now what?  The phrase "aging gracefully" comes to mind.  What the *_____* does that mean?  I, personally, would never put aging and gracefully in the same thought, let alone in the same sentence!  Who DID that?  When I think "aging", I think gray hair, middle age spread, arthritis, vision problems, hearing loss.....  Ah, maybe I've just found the problem!  Those are all negative perceptions.  Still... "gracefully"?  Don't think so.  Vigorously maybe (but not me).  Even cheerfully or willingly are a bit more than I can handle right now.  Realistically is more like it.  I'll have to go google some of this and come back to it later.  (I'm big on googling.  Shouldn't there be some reward for frequent googling?)


Meanwhile, my best thought for the day is the serenity prayer:
Lord grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference. (or to google it) 


Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment