Saturday, April 28, 2012

On Becoming An Old Fogey

OK I admit it.  I'm guilty.  Just when I crossed over I can't say, but I've become one of those.  You know, the ones whos say, "Why back in my day...".  Caught myself thinking that way a lot lately and even saying it once or twice.

I recall disliking old fogeyisms while growing up.  If we complained about something, we'd get that, "Why when I was a kid I had to walk two miles to and from school" or "When I was your age... da da da da..."  I'd groan (inwardly of course), and think here we go again, shut my mouth.

(Nowadays kids don't bother to hide those feelings or complaints. - Oops, just regressed into fogeyism again.)  


old fogey = someone who has old-fashioned ideas, especially someone who is old.  People who are old-fashioned or do not like change: anorak, bogan, bore, conservative, diehard, dinosaur, drip, drongo, dweeb, fogey...   :O(  oh dear!

Old Fogeyisms:
back in my day
when I was your age
nowadays
when I lived at home
when I was a kid
when I went to school
new fangled
good old days
we never had
(and so on...)

This awful revelation about myself came as I was thinking of all the Mom's across the country frantically preparing for junior or young misses' high school graduation.  Before I retired I would hear fellow workers talk of all the heavy house cleaning, even some major home renovations, food preparation or even catering and other highly expensive party plans.  I would think to myself, "Back when I graduated, my parents didn't go to all that trouble and expense!  How wastefully extravagant!"  I guess these were my first signs of passage into old fogeyhood.

Now when I had those thoughts again, as graduation time approaches, my "old days" suddenly came back to me bit more realistically.  I DO recall our frantic housecleaning, baking and party planning for my high school graduation.  The budget may have been a bit more restrained out of necessity, but the intensity and the importance of the event were the same.  And that's a good thing.  High School Graduation is a very significant event.  It's usually the end of life at home as it was and passage into adulthood.  It should be honored and celebrated.  Also, perhaps the house did need major cleaning and renovation. (I should be so motivated!)  So I'm dumping my old fogey critical thoughts about this subject.  None of my business anyway!

This all makes me wonder how many other "good (or bad) old days" memories I've falsified.  Maybe a lot of things haven't changed as much as I thought.  Lesson learned, don't be critical based on distant (possibly clouded) memories.  Even if something isn't like it used to be, it just might be better.

But I still say folks nowadays spend way too much on weddings!  :O)



No comments:

Post a Comment