Monday, July 4, 2011

Greetings on Independence Day


It's a good day to reflect on what a privilege and responsibility we have to live in this great country. As in all things there needs to be a balance. We not only need to appreciate our freedom, but we all need to be reminded of our responsibilities as individual citizens. Lately I've become more aware of my own intensifying frustration, often turning into rage, at our government, politicians and world affairs. Now more than ever, I have to remind myself that I cannot change these things. I can only pray and be an informed voter. And I must be a responsible citizen. The Serenity Prayer comes to mind:
God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

I've heard a lot of folks say they just avoid reading or listening to the news most of the time due to all the negative reporting and disturbing events. I really prefer to stay informed, so I'm working more and more on blocking the rage. I'm left with a sour pessimistic attitude sometimes, but then that little prayer helps.

No matter if one is liberal, conservative or vegetable this statement makes good sense:
"Honesty, honor, godliness, industry, respect for the law, morality, and truthfulness are the wheels on which our entire republic rides. If the American people are no damn good, then no matter how well the Constitution is written, how well we're governed, or how much good fortune comes our way, we are doomed as a nation."
by John Hawkins
"7 Responsibilities You Have As An American"
Townhall Magazine 6/7/2011

That is good advice, but a bit of a "glass half empty" ending, so I'd prefer to hope that the majority of Americans are "good" people, appreciate and abide by the constitution and our laws, elect wise leaders and act responsibly as productive citizens so that we will prosper and enjoy good fortune.

Have a fun safe holiday everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment